Saturday 25 May 2013

The curse of the keyboard

Hi!

So courtesy of living half of my life in a foreign country I am obviously bilingual. I'm fluent in Swedish and English. Of course I could call myself trilingual by saying that I am also fluent in Swenglish but that hasn't been recognised as a language....... yet. I'm working on it.
You know when you're typing on an iPad or similar you have the keyboard set to a specific language and that you can easily switch language. I've got Swedish, English and French (although I don't use that one now because I don't have French until August) on mine. I've always got it on the wrong language, so autocorrect keeps 'correcting' my text messages and I get really annoyed until I realise for the millionth time that I've got it on the wrong language. When I talked about this with my mum she just commented that it was a real first world issue.
My geography teacher would have my head if she knew that I used that term. It's not correct according to what we learnt last year and I guess I agree....... I don't know
Being bilingual can be pretty funny at times. When I first came here I didn't speak any English. My sister had done a year of English in Sweden so she knew a bit. The first thing she taught her friends here
was how to swear in Swedish.
I mentioned Swenglish before. If I'm speaking Swedish and I don't know a word in Swedish I just say it in English instead. I also use English verb endings on Swedish verbs. When I say stuff wrong my parents are always asking me what language I'm speaking. It's pretty funny. I do correct my mum's English so I guess that they can correct my Swedish.
I like being able to speak Swedish here because I'm the only Swedish person at my school. There are very few Swedes on the island in total. I think there's one other family, there used to be more but they all left..... Anyway if I get annoyed at someone I can tell them in Swedish. I also randomly speak Swedish sometimes becuase it's funny.
I don't think most of that made any sense but I blame the fact that I'm really tired.

Bye banan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)