Sunday 14 April 2013

Snow

Hi,

Check out this video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCexKtnKcRM
No we do not currently have snow here in Guernsey. We did however have snow last month for a few days. Blizzard conditions brought the island to a standstill. It's very amusing for me because I'm used to much more snow than the small amount that Guernsey gets. It was very amusing. On the Monday I woke up and there was snow. The radio said that my school was open. I trudged to school (7 minute walk) in the cold. It was about 1 or 2 degrees Celsius outside but if felt much colder because I was in school uniform (something I will talk about during another post). My school did not have the sense to tell us on the radio that uniform was optional, unlike all the other schools, so most were in uniform although some had gotten the late message from our school at ten past eight (school starts at half past). Anyway, I was earlier than usual so instead of going straight to my form room (hut!)I went to the library. On my way up there I saw one of my friends who told me that there was a hole in the roof of the library. Yes, that's how bad the building is. A few centimetres of snow made a hole in the roof! We had our first two hours of lessons and, although they were distracted by excitement about the snow, they were pretty much business as normal. In the second hour the lights started flickering and my teacher voiced her hopes of wanting to go home. They said in assembly that the situation would be reviewed at one o'clock so naturally we were told to go home at 12. Some of my friends went with me to my house as I live close to school. When we were at the bottom of the (tiny) hill that leads to my school we noticed that there was an unusually long line of cars on the road. We predicted that there would be a struggling car at some point. There was. Right below the turning leading to my house a van was struggling to get up a tiny hill. No one was helping the poor man. We knocked on his window and asked if he needed help before pushing him up. The thing that annoyed me was the fact that it was obvious that a car was stuck but no one had gotten out to help. In Sweden it would never have happened in the first place becuase when there's snow it's just business as usual. That reminds me, England just can't seem to cope with snow at all. They get a small amount and it dominates the news for a week. This is becuase they are not properly prepared. Not being prepared can be excused on tiny Guernsey where we have snow for about three days a year but England gets plenty now. They don't have winter tyres and they don't have enough grit. On Guernsey it's pretty much impossible to clear the snow becuase of the walls and hedges on the sides of the roads but the M1 doesn't have that problem, to my knowledge. Guernsey can't put grit or salt on the roads becuase it would get into the water supply. A few years ago the States (the government over here) spent a lot of money on some de icing liquid for the runway at the airport but nothing to spread it with so the liquid was useless. Very funny in hindsight, not so funny for all the people who got stuck etc.
Anyway, I hope you're enjoying this blog that I set up on the spur of the moment this morning when I suddenly felt like it. Last time I checked there had been about 60 page views and I had 5 Facebook likes (go like my page). I wasn't expecting anyone to read my blog but please to continue to read and recommend it to your friends becuase I have a lot to write about. Please leave comments but no hate!
Upcoming posts will be about; school, weather, my amusing friends, history of Guernsey and my impending move to Swedem.
Please come back (and like my Facebook page)!

Bye!
Hejdå!
Auf Wiedersehn! (Not sure if that's right as I haven't done German in two years, please correct me if I'm wrong)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)